In honor of one of my favorite stores opening a new store near my house today, I wanted to write about Trader Joe’s. I’m sure most of you have heard of this California-born grocery store that offers great deals on its own private label products. Personally, I call Trader Joe’s the “fun store.” When I was living by myself in college, I turned from enjoying clothes shopping to enjoying food shopping. (I know I’m not the only one here!) Trader Joe’s had all the fun snacks and an AMAZING cheese wall full of choices. Because of this, cheese and wine night became a staple at my apartment. I read once that people consider Trader Joe’s a store for poor college students with rich taste buds, and the variety of cheeses and wines to choose from really grew mine.
I have tried many of their private label items, and they were all great. Recently, I have significantly cut back on sugar, and any soy or corn products, however, before I did this, here are some items that I especially recommend, and some that I still recommend:
- Cookie butter – amazing on apples. I had been holding back on this, but after I sampled it in-store, I couldn’t resist.
- kalamata olive bread and hummus – okay, I just love olives
- Harvest blend herbal tea – I noticed after drinking it that this tea contains “other natural flavors” (sketchy much?) which I try to avoid, however, this is the best tasting tea I’ve ever had. EVER.
- Green juice (not sure what it’s called) and Apple Cider – both contain too much sugar and are pasteurized, but taste great, and would be a good alternative to other sugar drinks.
- 100% Cranberry Juice – good price on it, unfortunately it’s pasteurized
- wine and cheese, of course
- Other items: I like buying organic fruit at Trader Joe’s (I am thinking of apples and kiwi) because it’s a lot cheaper than other stores, and the quality has been good.
- I also like buying Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap there, because Trader Joe’s has the best price I have found so far.
As you can see, my list is getting long, and that’s because I liked everything I tried! Well, I didn’t care for the pumpkin butter, but my family loved it, so it must just be me.
One thing I especially like about Trader Joe’s is that none of their private label items contain high fructose corn syrup, nor GMOs. This makes my shopping trip a bit easier, because I’m one to examine the ingredients list on the back. I still will examine it, but not as skeptically.
Trader Joe’s commitment to good health and great prices makes me a loyal shopper, and I am soooo glad to have one near by.